1 John 5:1-5
Main Idea: Those who believe in Christ are overcomers who love and obey God by loving other believers.
1. What is true of all of God’s children? All of God’s children love God by loving each other.
- They are born of God through faith in King Jesus (5:1a)
- They love God by loving other children of God, and vice versa (5:1b-2)
- Loving God and obeying God always go together (5:3a)
- How can I grow in loving God by loving others?
- How does the connection between loving God and obeying God guard against the opposing errors of legalism and a license-to-sin attitude?
2. Why do all of God’s children love and obey God by loving each other? God’s children overcome the world (and thus love God and others) through faith in Jesus.
- His commands are not burdensome for His children (5:3b)
- God’s children have overcome the world (5:4a, 1 John 2:16): the lusts of the flesh, the lusts of the eyes, the boastful pride of life
- They have overcome the world through faith (5:4b)
- God’s children overcome the world through believing that Jesus is the Son of God (5:5)
- How does the truth that we overcome the world through believing in Jesus help me to live obediently and lovingly today?
- Since I am an overcomer through Christ and His commands are not burdensome, in what areas of my life do I need the light of this truth to shine?
Nathan Thiry is the Growth Groups & Outreach Pastor at Faith Bible Church. He enjoys biking and outdoor activities, and has a passion to see the gospel spread throughout our community and the whole world!
View Resources by Nathan Thiry